Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Old can be new again.


I approached Carrie from The Passionate Home a while back www.thepassionatehome.com to see about possibly building some furniture for her store.
She came up with a brilliant idea to build furniture from old and reclaimed pieces.

Our first piece is based off an old window that Carrie was able to find. As soon as I saw the window I knew I was going to have fun creating something around it.
I was able to design and build a very functional cabinet around the window that not only looks good but also looks like it could have been around for the last 50 years. I painted the piece cloud white with light black rub through on all the edges.

I was able to build this unit entirely out of scrap and off cuts out of my shop
making this piece truly sustainable and one of a kind. The inside of the piece is stained a beautiful warm brown colour which works well to contrast with the white outside. I kept the original handle on the window to keep everything as unique as possible, plus the weathered handle looks so cool with the many coats of chipped paint around it.

This project has really opened my eyes to the possibilities of taking something that otherwise has come to the end of its life and turning it into something that will live on for many years to come

So if you are looking for something truly unique and a piece that will be the center of any conversation check out
http://www.thepassionatehome.com and get your hands on this beautiful piece before its gone.


1 comment:

  1. Fabulous project! I love that you've been able to create it entirely from reclaimed materials. I can't wait to see more :)

    Heather Stewart
    @hshomestaging

    ReplyDelete